We go to great lengths to keep our home clean. Yet pieces we come into daily physical contact with often go neglected. Our upholstered furniture requires unique care to look its best and increase its lifespan. Proper upholstery care should include regular cleanings by professionals. But there are techniques for care you can use between cleanings that don’t involve encasing your furniture in clear plastic covers!
- Clean Often – Keeping dust, dirt, and crumbs from accumulating is important. Include your furniture in your weekly cleaning routine. Vacuum out crumbs and hair or use a soft bristle brush and dust pan. When finished, rotate the cushions if possible to promote even wear on both sides.
- Don’t Sit On Stains – Stains and spills should be dealt with as soon as they are noticed. Letting a stain sit only makes it more difficult to remove. Having the tools on hand before the stain occurs is critical. White vinegar and water for those light soils and spot shot and/or a stain stick for tough stains. Be sure to test any cleaner on the fabric in an inconspicuous area prior to use. As you clean up a mess, use dabbing to remove excess before applying cleaner.
- Fabric Protectors – To give your upholstery a fighting chance when accidents occur, consider pre-treating with a fabric protector. When used as recommended, they can keep stains from setting in, making clean-up a cinch.
- Vacuums and Steam Mops – There is no shortage of cleaning tools on the market aimed at upholstery care. From hand-held vacuums to that steam mop you use on the floor, these tools can be invaluable to keeping your furniture looking its best. Be sure to allow time for fabric to dry completely and naturally after a cleaning.
- Airing Your Dirty… Furniture – Fresh air can do wonders for reducing pet, smoke, or cooking odors. Move the piece outside onto a covered porch or deck for a couple days. Next, sprinkle baking soda, allow to sit for an hour, then vacuum up the baking soda.
Despite all best intentions, your furniture will still require regular professional cleaning to look, feel, and smell its best. The professionals at Braxton Cleaning Solutions in Florence, Kentucky have been in the upholstery cleaning business for over 20 years. Don’t trust your fine upholstery to just anyone! Give us a call today to schedule your cleaning!