Don’t let a few stains and spills cramp your style; following a few easy and step-by step instructions, you can maintain your upholstered furniture. The most common piece of furniture in need of care is the couch; the catch-all of families! Keeping your furniture in tip top shape will prevent your furniture from looking dated, unkempt, and dreary.
- Move Quickly: When the spill or stain happens, you need to act quickly. Waiting too long to treat the stain can cause the stain to set. You are working against the clock when dealing with stains.
- Check the tag: Before treating the stain, check the manufacturer’s instructions for care. These tags can usually be found on the bottom of the furniture, or by removing cushions. Without consulting the manufacturer recommendations, you risk permanently damaging the upholstery.
- Remove loose particles: Using a stiff brush with natural bristles, go over entire sofa to loosen stains and bring dust and dirt to the surface. Then, vacuum entire sofa with a handheld vacuum or an extension piece.
- Baking Soda: Sprinkle baking soda over the entire couch to help remove odors and further loosen stains. You can also use a baking soda solution for any areas of deep-set stains. Make a paste of equal parts baking soda and water and apply to area. Let the solution sit for 15-20 minutes. Once it has absorbed the stain, vacuum it with the brush attachment.
- Spot Treat: Per manufacturer’s recommendations, clean stains with recommended agent, following the instructions on the bottle of the cleaner.
- Towel & Air Dry: Pat any wet areas with a dry towel to soak up residue. Let the upholstery air dry overnight and enjoy your rejuvenated furniture in the morning.
Of course these 6 seamless steps don’t always take care of the problem. They certainly pertain more to small ‘oopsies’ rather than combating months and years of extended use. To clean up what most would label normal ‘wear and tear’ of your favorite sofa or chair, we recommend a professional cleaning company, such as Braxton Cleaning Solutions. A professional company will have both the tools (often a high-powered steam cleaner) and access to stronger and cutting-edge cleaning products that will help release years of built up dirt and grime.
Many think it can’t be done… but Braxton’s will come and give your favorite furniture a 2020 face-lift! Book your appointment today at www.braxtoncleaningsolutions.com